Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
babies

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Some things I have learned in 2 short months . . .

So . . . even thought my brain feels numb and I can't remember simple words like "dog" or "lunch" which amuses Jeff greatly when I get frustrated and say "you know what I mean!!" and he says "no really . . . I don't!" I guess "mom brain" is a very real thing! I thought I would share for my fave new mommies or mommies to be what I "have learned" Just call me O' Wise One :-)

1. Growth spurts suck: I read about them and thought "oh I wonder if I will know when she is having one". Oh yeah . . . you know. My sweet precious angel turns into Jaws. I mean every 2 hours she becomes like a teenage boy in search of boobs. She can't get enough . . . oh and naps . . forget it. She is far too famished . . . but she does have the energy to scream (thank goodness, we would hate for that not to happen!). These happen around 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 and 9 weeks (for Grace), and now 12 weeks. We love them!!
2. Burp cloths, Bibs, and Pacifiers oh my : Gracie's sweet Grandma Mary made her a ton of homemade burp clothes and then 2 dear friends also gave me monogrammed ones that were gorgeous (thanks Elena and Kacee!) I also received about 20 bibs. As a expectant mommy I was pleased to have so many but thought "when will I ever use all these?". The Spit Up Gods are laughing. Enter a baby with reflux like the Exorcist and who drools when she is hungry (kind of like her daddy) we go through them. So Lesson #2 . . . yes you really will need 72 burp clothes and 97 bibs. Question it now but thank me later!
3. Batteries: Whoa pump your breaks dirty birds . . . HA!! As far as batteries . . . go ahead and buy stock in Duracell. I mean I have never in my life gone through 5 packages of D batteries in 2 months. By them in every size . . . the swing and bouncer seat become your best friend. If they die and they will (like after 2 weeks) you will go into panic mode and so will the baby without her "swing fix". It is like "baby crack".
4. Your boobs: become such a major part of your day that they even start becoming a main part of your dreams. I dreamed last night that Jeff and were at a romantic dinner and i was topless. Just hanging out! People giving me dirty looks and I WAS offended . . . I mean didn't they know i was a mommy??
5. Sleep: Gracie now sleeps from about 8pm to 7am . . . yes since about 9 weeks (again she is advanced , I am pretty sure). However, I wake every hour to make sure she hasn't stopped breathing, spit up or pooped from one end of the nursery to the other, or stolen my car keys to go for a joy ride. Sleep and worry pretty much go hand in hand together. My suggestion a glass of wine and a Benadyril~ you will get some rest. Hey she is!
6. A smile changes it all: Even on the worst day . . . when you haven't put in your contacts for 2 days, brushed your teeth in 1, have smelly spit up all over you (and quite possibly poop because you smell it but kind find the source), and a baby who has decided today is the day to try for an Emmy in crying. When you think you have reached your limit . . . she stops crying and looks at you and smiles . . . and the world is perfect at that moment.

PS. I have also found that I now can not eat buttered popcorn . . . why you ask wait until your newborns diapers!! They smell the same.

1 comment:

Laura T. said...

Okay- I serioulsy laughed outloud about your dream. HILARIOUS!