Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
babies

Monday, June 2, 2008

Pancreatitis . . . a New Family Past Time

Well no sooner do I get the pup over his bout of pancreatitis do I get a call from my step-dad tonight that my mom has been admitted to the hospital . . . for pancreatitis. The poor thing! I am worried sick for her but Jim assures me that she will be just fine. We think it might be from too much drinking and food fun on her honeymoon! She is expected to be there for at least 3-4 days though and I know how much my mom hates being alone at night let alone in hospital! Plus she can't eat for all that time. IV only. So if you are ready this and you pray . . . if you could throw a little mention in there for me mom. I know she will be just fine but I know she is miserable right now and it just breaks my heart.

BTW . . . I am becoming an official WEBMD addict. My doctor called me today too and found some stuff in my last test she didn't like so now I have another pill to take! Between the dog, my mom, and me I will keep all online medical research websites well visited :-) So just call me Dr. Kitty

UPDATE: Tuesday: Poor Penny! They told her today at least 5 days of more hospital time while they run more tests or let this thing run its course! She has a tube going into her stomach and has been told no food or water for 5 days so she is so hoarse. She told me today she hasn't been in the hospital since the day she gave birth to me almost 28 years ago! So she has been very lucky but she is miserable right now! Everything still points to a positive outcome and she appreciates being in every one's thoughts!

UPDATE #2 Wednesday: Well it looks as though surgery is the next step. They let her know this AM. She is pretty stressed and upset but it should be a relatively easy surgery. We don't know when yet but will keep the updates coming!

UPDATE #3: Thursday AM: Well my mom has started having irregular heartbeats on top of her high blood pressure so things are taking a slower course of action. Today she spiked a fever due to the infection raging in her gallbladder. So they have removed her pain meds and given her Tylenol instead to bring the temperature down but she is in a lot of pain. We are waiting for the cardiologist to look at her EKG before they go any further with surgery plans. We just need to get this thing out of her!! I think now she is just more miserable than scared and we def. think all will be well once the surgery is done.


UPDATE #4: Friday at noon: I was just talking with my mom as they came to get her for surgery. She sounds pretty nervous. They tried the ERCP yesterday but couldn't finish . . . they couldn't get the scope in so they let her know she is not a candidate for the surgery we were hoping for which is the laparoscopic removal of the gallbladder. Instead she is going in for the big boy surgery that is done with a 5-8 inch cut. So recovery will take longer but it is time to jsut get the thing and the gall stones out of her and let the infection in her pancreas clear up. Poor thing hasn't had food, water or a shower in 6 days. She hates the hospital! Well have an update after the surgery! Please say a little prayer if you happen to read this! While it is a common procedure I just worry as she has never had surgery before!

1 comment:

Jenny and Kari's Wedding Blog said...

Oh no your poor mom. That is so sad!!! Now feel bad giving her wine for her present. It is all my fault. Hope she feels better