Let me take you back to Feb 2000 in Charleston, SC when I was a sophomore at CofC . . . I met a Sig Ep named "Harper" who was a boozing egotistical preppy southern boy who had declared he would never "fall in love with a yankee", let alone at that moment because he "was leaving for the navy to fly jets". All of this was very funny to me because I had little interest in him and he was so sure of himself that I had already fallen in love. Through out the years, that same southern boy has always had two sides. The sweet, charming DSG (a name his Kingsville friends gave him), Distinguished Southern Gentleman who loves coastal living and still treats me like a queen (example after 8 years he still opens my car door every time) and then the is the other side . . . the scotch drinking, hunting, fishing, GA football fan, whose laugh can be heard 2 states away. My friends have learned that the "neck" Jeff comes out after scotch and that the ample teasing that follows is "only out offfff looooovvvveeee".
Well as any good ol' southern boy knows to be the full package you must have a truck or SUV. Any any SUV won't do. You must by the biggest one you can find and get just the right lift on (apparently too much is trashy and too little is suburbs). You must then put mud tires on it and a brush guard. Then of course there is the Ducks Unlimited sticker that must go on the back corner. If you are or ever have been a Charleston boy (my favorite type by far) you have to put the palmetto moon on the other side. While all of this is great . . . you take this car out of any true southern city and be prepared for reactions.
Right when I started my new job in JAX, I decided to drive Jeff's car one day when he was deployed (I also crashed it but that is another story). I was at work for an hour when I ran out on a call and my male co-workers saw me getting in and were speechless. They wanted to know where my "gun rack was?". Our new neighbors in VA asked why we had "snowtires in April", and looked at me like I had 10 heads when i said "oh those are muuuddd tires". A lot of people don't get it . . . My friends and I affectionately named the Tahoe "Tammy-Lynn The Tahoe" (no offense to anyone with that name) but it just seemed to fit our family" shoot it, stuff it, or marry it" mobile. So, one of our biggest arguments we ever had was one day when Jeff came home grinning ear to ear and showed me his new tires! I casually said "well how much were they?" thinking what $300 tops? $990!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I threw the biggest fit this side of the Mason Dixon line. Well 3 years later even Jeff has decided they are a little much and with Graysen on the way, we might need tires with more of a smooth ride (I would think so since every time we drive it I think the baby is going to be shaken out of me). So today this posting is a memorial to Tammy Lynn as we say TA-TA!! New tires have been ordered and the Z71 is slowly turning into a MOMMY MOBILE. I mentioned we might want to get rid of the brush guard too but he looked like he might cry so I backed down. Plus, it might be helpful for those days where I am sleep deprived with a screaming newborn and someone cuts me off . . .I could always ram them with the brush guard.
So in ending . . . there are many reasons why I love my Harper. I love the southern side, I love the "neck" side and now I love the daddy side. What a journey we have traveled! I caught him reading "what to expect" instead of Fly fishing Magazine yesterday and he is willing to part with a major part of his mistress, his "swampers", all for Gracie. Now that is love. :-)
Well as any good ol' southern boy knows to be the full package you must have a truck or SUV. Any any SUV won't do. You must by the biggest one you can find and get just the right lift on (apparently too much is trashy and too little is suburbs). You must then put mud tires on it and a brush guard. Then of course there is the Ducks Unlimited sticker that must go on the back corner. If you are or ever have been a Charleston boy (my favorite type by far) you have to put the palmetto moon on the other side. While all of this is great . . . you take this car out of any true southern city and be prepared for reactions.
Right when I started my new job in JAX, I decided to drive Jeff's car one day when he was deployed (I also crashed it but that is another story). I was at work for an hour when I ran out on a call and my male co-workers saw me getting in and were speechless. They wanted to know where my "gun rack was?". Our new neighbors in VA asked why we had "snowtires in April", and looked at me like I had 10 heads when i said "oh those are muuuddd tires". A lot of people don't get it . . . My friends and I affectionately named the Tahoe "Tammy-Lynn The Tahoe" (no offense to anyone with that name) but it just seemed to fit our family" shoot it, stuff it, or marry it" mobile. So, one of our biggest arguments we ever had was one day when Jeff came home grinning ear to ear and showed me his new tires! I casually said "well how much were they?" thinking what $300 tops? $990!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I threw the biggest fit this side of the Mason Dixon line. Well 3 years later even Jeff has decided they are a little much and with Graysen on the way, we might need tires with more of a smooth ride (I would think so since every time we drive it I think the baby is going to be shaken out of me). So today this posting is a memorial to Tammy Lynn as we say TA-TA!! New tires have been ordered and the Z71 is slowly turning into a MOMMY MOBILE. I mentioned we might want to get rid of the brush guard too but he looked like he might cry so I backed down. Plus, it might be helpful for those days where I am sleep deprived with a screaming newborn and someone cuts me off . . .I could always ram them with the brush guard.
So in ending . . . there are many reasons why I love my Harper. I love the southern side, I love the "neck" side and now I love the daddy side. What a journey we have traveled! I caught him reading "what to expect" instead of Fly fishing Magazine yesterday and he is willing to part with a major part of his mistress, his "swampers", all for Gracie. Now that is love. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment